Join the virtual adventure, WIN a real life adventure!
Australian school ordering forms
The SIXTEEN LEGS science education pack is a real-life tale of fun biology from the award winning Bookend Trust education program, told with a dark-fairytale twist by master international story-teller Neil Gaiman, with ground-breaking input from Australian and worldwide scientific teams. This will excite and inspire student audiences with the joy of the natural world.
Hidden beneath one of the world’s last great wildernesses is a place of twisted beauty, haven to a variety of weird inhabitants but hostile to others. Australia’s deepest caves hide animals surviving from the first age of the dinosaurs and the splitting of the continents. This is a place where insects can drown in the very air itself. Enter a world full of weird animals and unusual rock formations, overseen by still-living, giant prehistoric spiders the size of dinner plates!
SIXTEEN LEGS is an inter-linked suite of education projects focussed on the world of antipodean CAVES and CAVE BIOLOGY. It showcases the results of a 25-year scientific research project and hundreds of millions of years of evolution, from the break-up of Gondwana and the separation of Australia, Antarctica and South America to produce the global biological patterns we see today!
PUBLIC, TEACHER & STUDENT FEEDBACK:
"Absolutely brilliant... fascinating... what a beautiful way to tell the story of life in caves."
"The students follow the story from page to page, learning the connections as they go."
"I home school my son and he absolutely loved it."
"I love the story woven through SIXTEEN LEGS."
"A magical and unique combination of art and science."
"Informative, imaginative, engaging!"
"Brilliant... telling a very important story in an exciting way."
"Beautiful and amazing. So cool to be able to learn from the art."
"Wonderful. So comprehensive and inspiring!"
"Great to have art and science together!"
"A truly amazing work of art, the whole thing."
"A great concept, brilliantly executed. Many congratulations."
"Fascinating and beautiful."
SIXTEEN LEGS brings to life a quarter of a century of real-world scientific research with photographs, graphic art, and an overarching story woven around the science for all ages. These books and lessons can be used as an excellent tool to spark student interest in scientific inquiry and biological sciences. Both books interconnect to tell the story of animals living within a unique ecosystem, with the following links to the Australian Curriculum for both primary and secondary schools:
The needs, features, different places, growth, life cycles and classification of living things
- F Biological sciences (ACSSU002)
- Year 1 Biological Sciences (ACSSU017) (ACSSU211)
- Year 2 Biological Sciences (ACSSU030)
- Year 3 Biological Sciences (ACSSU044)
- Year 4 Biological Sciences (ACSSU072) (ACSSU073)
- Year 5 Biological Sciences (ACSSU043)
- Year 6 Biological Sciences (ACSSU094)
- Geographical Knowledge and Understanding (ACHGK013) (ACHGK018)
The differences, classification and groupings of biological diversity, specialised adaptations, reproduction, ecosystems, energy flow and science
- Year 7 Biological Sciences (ACSSU111)
- Year 8 Biological Sciences (ACSSU150)
- Year 9 Biological Sciences (ACSSU176)
- Year 10 Biological Sciences (ACSSU185)
Subject areas in the Arts, English and Media Studies can also be explored through the story-telling components of the books, sparking literature discussion, science inquiry and art projects in any year level.
COST $50 for a single set, or $40 per set if buying multiples, incl. GST & postage/delivery
What you get:
- SIXTEEN LEGS: Queen of the Dark hardback book
- SIXTEEN LEGS: Kinky Love hardback book
- 2x posters + 18x photo & art cards (in 3 sets)
- Tailored online lessons linked to the Australian Curriculum released throughout 2016
- Throughout 2016: each month additional photography and art books on mountains (Summits to Sleep On) and Antarctica (Beyond Woop Woop) will be drawn for a participating class or school library.
- Order by 31 March 2016: a fully funded place will be selected from participating schools for a teacher or school representative to join Bookend’s 2016 teacher professional development course on Maria Island in Tasmania.
- Order by 30 November 2016: a fully funded place will be selected from participating schools for a teacher or school representative to join Bookend’s 2017 Antarctic Experience program in Tasmania and Antarctica.
- Opportunities for older students to win positions on the Antarctic Experience program and for younger students to win other incentives will also be presented throughout the year.
Australian school ordering forms
EDUCATION LINKS & STUDENT ART INSPIRED BY THE PROJECT:
THE STORYTELLERS - Artworks and Descriptions (coming soon!)