In previous years, Bookend has taken students on interactive and actual experiences from the World Heritage Wilderness of south-west Tasmania to Antarctica, Lord Howe Island, Papua New Guinea and Thailand. These adventures have covered volcanos, wilderness survival, coastal management, threatened species and more. You can see the diverse range of all our projects here.
As the reach of our work grows, and more and more students benefit from what we do, we're seeking support. Your help will:
- Support our school outreach projects, student scholarships and research projects;
- Allow completion of our SIXTEEN LEGS program and documentary to help raise awareness of the untold biodiversity stories hidden away on our planet;
- Allow us to expand and tour our educational exhibition content to other locations around Australia and (hopefully) the globe.
Why is this important? As the world faces ever increasing environmental problems, we need to inspire the upcoming generations to find the enthusiasm, dedication and innovation to deal with them. Sitting back and giving up is not an option!
In return, you’ll get great SIXTEEN LEGS products to own, and - provided fundraising crosses the AUD$100,000 threshold - you'll also go in the draw to win a trip to TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA, from ANYWHERE around the globe, AND you can do so alongside Bookend Patron NEIL GAIMAN - the multi-talented, award-winning and best-selling international author and screenwriter of works including Sandman, Coraline, American Gods, The Ocean at the End of the Road, and Doctor Who!
Show your support, and you could be joining Neil and the Bookend Team to explore Tasmania's unique South-West Wilderness (which meets the equal highest number of criteria for World Heritage listing of anywhere on the planet); you'll see some of the highest sea cliffs in the Southern Hemisphere; you'll meet Tasmania's unusual fauna, from Tasmanian Devils and land-dwelling crayfish to seals and dolphins; you'll have world-renowned tourist experiences including Pennicott Wilderness Journeys, Port Arthur and MONA; and you'll be part of the filming of SIXTEEN LEGS!
How does it work? For every AUD$ you spend on our fund-raising items (excluding postage), you’ll receive a chance in the random draw to be flown to Tasmania to spend time with Bookend patron NEIL GAIMAN, to be a part of Bookend projects, and to experience Tasmania’s unique wilderness, animals and tourist sights.
The fund-raising items include Production Art and photographic books from SIXTEEN LEGS, as well as posters, post cards, and the opportunity to simply donate. More items will be added over coming weeks.
We know we've set a lofty fundraising goal, but the books and other rewards will be available irrespective of the funds raised. If the target is reached, it will release an extra reward for one lucky contributor to be flown to Tasmania to spend time with Bookend patron NEIL GAIMAN, and to experience Tasmania’s unique wilderness, animals and tourist sights.
It's an opportunity to support a great cause, help a charity, make a film, and possibly get to a fantastic far away place - and if you're in the northern hemisphere you will be trading winter for summer! Remember, the main prize won’t be active until the fund-raising threshold is reached, so please support us. The more support you provide, the more chances you get!
Bookend began with a small group of people putting their own money into this work because we believe it's important. Please join us in doing this!
- Prize consists of one return economy flight to Tasmania from the entrant’s nearest airport, with local accommodation in Tasmania provided for up to 10 days. Food expenses will be covered on specific trips within the visit. The winner can stay longer by arrangement and at their own expense.
- The winner is responsible for ensuring they have a valid passport, appropriate travel insurance and any visa requirements for the trip.
- Participation of entrants under 18 years of age is subject to the consent of parents or guardians. The entrant will be responsible for travel costs of a parent or guardian if required.
- Specific itinerary will be developed in conjunction with the winner, but will involve time with Bookend patron NEIL GAIMAN, participation in Bookend projects, and visits to Tasmania’s unique wilderness, animals and tourist sights.
- The winner must be prepared to travel at a date that coincides with Neil Gaiman’s visits to Tasmania. All effort will be taken to maintain this itinerary, but it is subject to change due to Mr Gaiman’s professional commitments. By arrangement, the winner’s trip may be undertaken at any other time separate to Mr Gaiman’s presence.
- This competition is open until the fundraising target is met. Competition organisers retain the right to offer additional prizes if fundraising exceeds the threshold.
- The winner will be announced once the fundraising target is reached and posted on the BOOKEND TRUST and SIXTEEN LEG web pages. The decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.